Saturday, September 17, 2011

September Eleventh

Ten years later...

I remember.

I was eighteen years old.

I was pregnant with my first child.

I sat on my bed watching as the towers collapsed.

I went to school and was then told my first class as cancelled.

Sitting in the Florissant Community College parking lot in my teal two door Chevy Caviler, I listened to the radio.  I listened so long in fact, that my car battery died and I had to get a jump from the security guard.


Tonight, I took my two daughters to the Balloon glow in Forest Park.  We stopped by the 9-11 memorial display where almost 3,000 flags are on display at Art Hill in front of the Art museum.  One flag for every person who was killed in the 9-11 terrorist attacks.  On the flag pole, there is a persons name, age, Company they worked for, city they lived in and where they were at during the attacks.  It was breath taking... I just stood and stared.  I couldn't cry.... I was in shock.  It was both beauty and sadness all in one view.

Some flag poles had yellow ribbons tied to them.  Alyssa and I decided those were put there by local people who maybe knew the person... Alyssa was very shocked to learn that people here in St. Louis could have known and lost someone during 9-11.


I knew I wanted to see the display lit up in the dark night sky.  They had flood light like poles set up that shined on all the flags after the sun went down.  So we headed over to the Balloon glow and decided we would come back.

The Art Museum also had a large flag outside the building.

Tonight was a little chilly, had a few light sprinkles and was very windy.

Every single flag on this hill was moving and flapping in the wind.

The descriptions on the flags.

 Alyssa would have read every single persons name if we could have stayed there all night.

Here are the rest of the photos I was able to capture.  They still do no justice to actually seeing this in person.








Thanks to my good friend Maria for recommending that I go take a look at this display.  I had heard about it for a few days now and wanted to go... and I am so very glad that I did.  I think that anyone who lives in the St. Louis area needs to see this before it is taken down tomorrow 09-18-2011

Proud to be an American, Thank you to all the military families, fire fighter and police families, who are protecting us all.

xoxo,
Sherry Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment